Sunday, July 19, 2009

Lazy, Crazy DAZE of Summer???

I have always looked forward to Summer Vacation. The few years in my life that I've held a 9-5 job, I was shocked every summer when my boss told me that I wouldn't get a few months off. The nerve of that guy!

With my youngest daughter having just graduated from high school, I was thinking about how many years my life has centered around the September-to-June school year.

Like most of us, I started kindergarten at five-years-old; graduated at just-about-eighteen. A year later, got married to Bob, who was in school every semester, then five years later, our daughter Jennifer started kindergarten.

Those who know me, know that my kids were born with seven and twelve years separating them. I was 19 when Jennifer was born, she was seven when Katherine was born; Katherine was 12 when Stephanie was born. (So Jenn was 19.)

The point of this? I have been living around a school schedule for 51 years! I have visions of me wandering through the school supplies isle at Meijer and Staples and feeling bereft!?! I'll probably take home a new box of crayons and some filler paper... and I don't even need them!

Now, it's true that Stephanie will be headed for college, but it won't be like I'm totally responsible for that. I can now take a vacation ANY TIME OF THE YEAR that I choose. Hey! This getting older ain't so bad!

1 comment:

The bad Liz said...

You are a goof!! Of course you will have to go through school supplies. Pencil cases make the best bead boxes and project boxes. And you will have to get more coloured pencils because we used them all up with the Shrinky Dinks......You need to post that story and pictures.....